doiturselfbigtime

I promised Rumy that I would start a blog on my return to Swansea, and inadvertently, I seem to have kept it. This blog, as it says in the title, is truly about life here as D-I-Y was recently rated UK's favourite pastime.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

The Sound of Music

Welsh, they say, is a musical tongue. At least in all the Enid Blytons I ever read all the Welsh characters spoke in a sing-song manner. In the Chalet School stories Welsh was likened to guttural German. The (linguistically challenged?) English won't even attempt to learn it. Much like with the Indian languages, they did their best to stamp out Welsh. For a century or more school children were told to "think in English". Any child lapsing into Welsh was made to wear wooden boards with holes for the neck, and punished in a variety of cruel ways. Now Wales, much like West Bengal and Tamil Nadu, is striking back! Most government jobs require a knowledge of Welsh in addition to English. Now, much to the frustration of most English-speakers, the university has its own Welsh language officer. I intend to learn Welsh at some point. Till then I am amusing myself by trying to speak some Welsh. Here's a sample for you:

Croeso (Kroeeso means Welcome)
Cymru (Cumry means Wales)
Abertawe (Aber taa way means Swansea)
Gwasanaethau (Gwaa saa nethou means services)
Camerau Cyflymder (means speed camera--the bane of all motorists)
Diolch (Deeochh means goodbye)
Prifysgol (privy skol means university)
Newyddion (new idh ion means news)

And try these names of localities in and around Swansea

Dysgwylfa (dis goo ilva)
Yr Hendy (yurr hendy)
Fforestffach (forestfaachh)
Llanelli (chlanechli)
Llangennech (clan gen eck)
Llwchwr (lukhhurr)

Music to the ears, did I say?

4 Comments:

Blogger rums said...

hey you missed out karnataka. they are big time into preserving their cultural identity. last year the state even okayed the release of non-kanada films only after seven weeks from the date of release of films in their own states.
on a more serious note, however, the decision to strike back can be pretty disastrous especially for the economically weaker sections. english is the language of globalization and while it's important to preserve your own cultural identity it's stupid to think that you can make do without english.
in west bengal, for instance, because the govt ruled that english will be taught only from grade 5, a whole generation of kids have grown up without proper working knowledge of english and it is seriously harming their prospects. what is shameful is that almost all these kids belong to the weaker sections (the rich send their kids to private schools where the govt's rules are not applicable). in a country like ours this kind of cultural imperialism does great harm and creates an unequal society. i guess the commis in WB realized this but were too proud to admit their mistake and blamed globalisation for widespread inequality. but now the situation is so pathetic that they have admitted their mistakes and suddenly the WB govt seems to want english back.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Sabiha said...

Rums, I couldn't agree more. Now if only the Welsh will realise this and beat the English at their own game...

3:00 PM  
Blogger Sheetal said...

Sabiha, here's a link you might find interesting, about similarities between Welsh and Hindi:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4328733.stm

5:18 PM  
Blogger Sabiha said...

Hey Sheetal, good to hear from you. I did read the article--it was even reprinted in the Western Mail. And have been mulling joining a Welsh class. Incidentally, there is a Welsh programme on TV called "Amdani".

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home