doiturselfbigtime

I promised Rumy that I would start a blog on my return to Swansea, and inadvertently, I seem to have kept it. This blog, as it says in the title, is truly about life here as D-I-Y was recently rated UK's favourite pastime.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Summer time and the living is easy

It's swelteringly hot! I never thought I'd be able to say that here with a straight face. But it's true--it's really quite hot and humid here. Temperatures all this week have hovered around 30 C. And on the days when there's no breeze, it's even oven-like. Women are wearing stringy tops, white peasant skirts and flip-flops/wedges. The men are shirtless in shorts. Everybody's getting a tan.

And finally, I have neighbours. I can hear them chatting about food over their barbecues through doors and windows opened wide to cool down walls that are radiating heat. Can hear the thud-thud of a football striking the brick wall that divides our two houses. And the music that announces the ice cream van's arrival in our cul-de-sac. Then there are the other sounds of summer--the lawn mower and strimmer, bikes phut-phut-phutting away as bikers in leathers (yes I know they're nuts!) race the devil out of their blood.

Summer in Swansea's a different animal from the summer in India. What drives the Indians indoors, drives us colder cousins out of the woodwork, as it were. Finally, you see people and not just machines. There are no fans, no ac and no restraining Sun-worship. The beaches are overflowing--I am heading to one myself on Saturday. I believe I might just find a good summer read in the bookshops on the way.

And for once, us hotter-climes types have the advantage. I am wearing cottons and keeping out of the sun. My skin's welcomed the humidity and is looking nicely conditioned. Am drinking the amount of water I would in India, eating light with lots of cherries, grapes, pineapples and juices. And generally feeling in my element.

My colleagues are stripped down to bare minimum decent office attire. Are fanning themselves vigorously and for some strange reason imbibing numerous cups of tea. The Singaporean girl at the next desk is visibly flagging every afternoon. The swimmer at the end of the room can't sleep at night because of the heat (no fans in our houses). And everybody is flushed and dishevelled. I am, of course, cool and composed!

5 Comments:

Blogger rums said...

i shudder to think what they'd do in the delhi heat, esp when it crosses 45 degrees!

2:06 PM  
Blogger rums said...

why don't you post some pics of your trip to the beach?

2:07 PM  
Blogger Sabiha said...

Will try and post some. Have been meaning to upload photos for a while, and will give it a shot now.

BTW, have you reserved your Harry Potter?

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when's your next driving test? And are you wearing a one-piece or a two-piece to the beach? Also which beach.
Are you actually telling me that you're sleeping at night without a blanket?
I am in the middle of Book 4 - and want to read Book 5 before diving into Book 6 so I think I will only be able to read it over the weekend.
This is a repeat of last time. Damn
Nish

8:33 AM  
Blogger rums said...

got the book and started reading it, it starts on a very dark note. methinks the book is getting very violent. when i told b this, he remarked that it's strange no has tried to convert the books into graphic novels.

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home