Food for thought
Happy New Year, guys! Rumy tagged me a while back to list my 10 favourite food. Not having access to a comp or the Net during the India trip, am finally responding now. I'm not much of a foodie, and a pretty mediocre-to-bad cook. But here's what I will def go out of my way to eat:
1. Kababs, Koftas and Tikkas: Sheekh kabab, Shami kababs, Nargisi koftas, reshmi tikkas, by themselves, in roti rolls - I love them all. The softest spot though is reserved for the sheekh.
2. Dal Makhani: Elevated to a "favourite" as I can't seem to find it in Swansea, and therefore get to eat it only when I visit India. The last time I ordered it here, the waiter asked me if I wanted a pineapple garnish, and presented a sweetened yellow dal!
3. Rasam: The way my mom makes it with tomato, black pepper, curry leaves, garlic and tamarind. Def makes the food go down fast. Best eaten with white rice and aloo poriyal/jeera aloo or fried fish or fried mutton.
4. Prawn Biryani the way my chachijaan used to make it. Beautifully spiced, and no fishy smell.
5. Undhiyo: The way only gujaratis make it. Best consumed during utraan (sankranti) as the kites fill the sky. This trip too I dragged the family to sample a gujarati thali at Indian Harvest in Hyd. But sadly no undhiyo.
6. Sarson ka saag makki ki roti and tons of home-churned butter. First sampled it at a farmer's in Rohtak. Now eat it at every possible opportunity. Quite addictive.
7. Scones, jam and clotted cream. The Welsh do this divinely. Best consumed with a pot of tea or mug of hot chocolate.
8. Khoobani ka meetha with cream. And it must be well-sprinked with apricot seeds.
9. My grandmother's phaal (deep fried mutton in black pepper) with potato chips and khatti dal with rice.
10. Can't decide between masala chai, kulfi, dahi bhallas north Indian style with sweet tamarind chutney, rasmalai, appams with sweet coconut milk and maleeda (powdered old puris/parathas with sugar). But can't beat masala chai with elaichi, adrak and all the other stuff for when I need a pick-me-up. So masala chai it is.
I am tagging Nish to tell me her faves, just so I know how many I've left out in my list.
1. Kababs, Koftas and Tikkas: Sheekh kabab, Shami kababs, Nargisi koftas, reshmi tikkas, by themselves, in roti rolls - I love them all. The softest spot though is reserved for the sheekh.
2. Dal Makhani: Elevated to a "favourite" as I can't seem to find it in Swansea, and therefore get to eat it only when I visit India. The last time I ordered it here, the waiter asked me if I wanted a pineapple garnish, and presented a sweetened yellow dal!
3. Rasam: The way my mom makes it with tomato, black pepper, curry leaves, garlic and tamarind. Def makes the food go down fast. Best eaten with white rice and aloo poriyal/jeera aloo or fried fish or fried mutton.
4. Prawn Biryani the way my chachijaan used to make it. Beautifully spiced, and no fishy smell.
5. Undhiyo: The way only gujaratis make it. Best consumed during utraan (sankranti) as the kites fill the sky. This trip too I dragged the family to sample a gujarati thali at Indian Harvest in Hyd. But sadly no undhiyo.
6. Sarson ka saag makki ki roti and tons of home-churned butter. First sampled it at a farmer's in Rohtak. Now eat it at every possible opportunity. Quite addictive.
7. Scones, jam and clotted cream. The Welsh do this divinely. Best consumed with a pot of tea or mug of hot chocolate.
8. Khoobani ka meetha with cream. And it must be well-sprinked with apricot seeds.
9. My grandmother's phaal (deep fried mutton in black pepper) with potato chips and khatti dal with rice.
10. Can't decide between masala chai, kulfi, dahi bhallas north Indian style with sweet tamarind chutney, rasmalai, appams with sweet coconut milk and maleeda (powdered old puris/parathas with sugar). But can't beat masala chai with elaichi, adrak and all the other stuff for when I need a pick-me-up. So masala chai it is.
I am tagging Nish to tell me her faves, just so I know how many I've left out in my list.

5 Comments:
ooh, what a good thing I have khubani ka meetha in the fridge right this moment - lemme go get it.
You lucky girl, you. Now if only I had it in my fridge!
that reminds me, sabs weren't you supposed to get me khubani ka meetha this time from hyd, and also biryani?!!
And the brownie with sizzling hot chocolate sauce at the New Yorker,Mumbai...? No brownie points for guessing that one:)
Hope ur having a "wale" of a time Sabs!
Hey Taps, Happy New Year! Hardly having a ball as am having to eat my own cooking. And even I didn't remember how bad that is till I had to get stuck in. Fortunately Marks & Spencer Food has a good line in ready-to-eat stuff.
Post a Comment
<< Home