I no longer
sleep 9 hrs like I used to every night - So dear was sleep to me that I even renegotiated my reporting time with all potential employers so that I didn't have to start at an unearthly 9.00 am like all those other sods. These days I sleep in shifts 12.00 am - 3.00 am, 3.00 am - 6.00 am, or 6.00 am - 9.00 am. I also used to grab a 2 hr siesta daily after work, but we won't get into that now.
drink my tea hot. The full British hot breakfast and the steaming evening cuppa were the two meals I truly savoured. Alas! these days tea is microwaved and re-microwaved till it could be cabbage soup, but still I only get to drink it lukewarm. (See Nish's take on coffee). As for the hot brekker, I am triumphant if I get a bowl of cold cereal.
read the newspaper first thing in the morning. Do these media houses even realise how noisy their product is? Try turning the page without breaking the exhausted stillness of an early morning. I've tried every hold I can think of and I believe that the best technique is to lay the newspaper on a flat surface (to leave both hands free) grab the page at the top and bottom (one hand for each end) and, holding it taut, turn it gently. Don't let go till it is resting on the previous page. And don't forget to let your breath out slowly. Be warned, this technique is not for the frail of stomach as it makes for a tense half hour. I have now taken to reading the paper last thing at night.
watch TV till I am catatonic. I suppose I should thank the twins for curing me of that bad habit, but I still crave the hours spent watching mindless rubbish till I fell zombie-like into bed. The last couple of months I've been trying to watch the televised Jane Austen books. Obviously, I haven't caught as much as a glimpse of any. Though must say that have with much crafty planning have managed to watch the American Idol series so far - it helps that it is repeated thrice after the original show.
brush my teeth and wash up like it is my birthright. No I am very grateful when (to be honest, that should be IF) the opportunity arises. I used to wonder what the Lever-types were on about when they said that their soaps were selling Indian women a dream in the one time they could call their own - their bath time. Unfortunately, I wonder no more.
eat regular meals. Another fixation, which has been consigned to the bin.
I also no longer go for long walks when it's sunny. Or go shopping now that I drive. Or read books now that I am not at office.
Nope, I've entered a new world and am still struggling to find my feet. Hmmm, now why does that sound familiar...
drink my tea hot. The full British hot breakfast and the steaming evening cuppa were the two meals I truly savoured. Alas! these days tea is microwaved and re-microwaved till it could be cabbage soup, but still I only get to drink it lukewarm. (See Nish's take on coffee). As for the hot brekker, I am triumphant if I get a bowl of cold cereal.
read the newspaper first thing in the morning. Do these media houses even realise how noisy their product is? Try turning the page without breaking the exhausted stillness of an early morning. I've tried every hold I can think of and I believe that the best technique is to lay the newspaper on a flat surface (to leave both hands free) grab the page at the top and bottom (one hand for each end) and, holding it taut, turn it gently. Don't let go till it is resting on the previous page. And don't forget to let your breath out slowly. Be warned, this technique is not for the frail of stomach as it makes for a tense half hour. I have now taken to reading the paper last thing at night.
watch TV till I am catatonic. I suppose I should thank the twins for curing me of that bad habit, but I still crave the hours spent watching mindless rubbish till I fell zombie-like into bed. The last couple of months I've been trying to watch the televised Jane Austen books. Obviously, I haven't caught as much as a glimpse of any. Though must say that have with much crafty planning have managed to watch the American Idol series so far - it helps that it is repeated thrice after the original show.
brush my teeth and wash up like it is my birthright. No I am very grateful when (to be honest, that should be IF) the opportunity arises. I used to wonder what the Lever-types were on about when they said that their soaps were selling Indian women a dream in the one time they could call their own - their bath time. Unfortunately, I wonder no more.
eat regular meals. Another fixation, which has been consigned to the bin.
I also no longer go for long walks when it's sunny. Or go shopping now that I drive. Or read books now that I am not at office.
Nope, I've entered a new world and am still struggling to find my feet. Hmmm, now why does that sound familiar...

3 Comments:
This is so damn funny but true at the same time. irony!
BTW, I also kept posting comments on your site when you posted your babies pictures and somehow they never got published!
Anyways, the babies are adorable! and I can imagine how exhausted you might be feeling but think about it if you ever wanted to have two kids you are done with it in one stroke rather than going through all the pregnancy and no to mention lack of sleep for a few months (at least) after they are born, who wouldnt want twins??
Hey Renuka, good to hear from you! How's your baby doing? It's 1.45 am and have just fed the girl, now waiting for the boy to wake up. Sighhh, such is life with twins! I suppose the grass will always be greener. I can't help thinking how much more time and attention you have to lavish on your baby and relish every moment of these first months. Whereas mine have to wait for my attention, and I'm always guilty that I may be shortchanging one. Oh well!
About the comments not getting published - am not surprised. I had a heck of a time getting my post published after all this time. Had to open a google a/c, then change my log-in name, then for a while I had two addresses. And me the least techie-type too...
Post a Comment
<< Home